Saturday, July 17, 2010

Preparing Your Toddler For the New Baby

Cover of "The New Baby"Cover of The New Baby

Preparing Your Toddler for a New Baby.

Are you expecting with your second child? I am and I'm 26 weeks along, with my little girl. I currently have a two year old boy and it is important to make sure he understands and adjusts to the changes a new baby will bring to the family.

A few helpful hints I have learned in researching this topic is:

1. Don't hide the pregnancy from your toddler. Talk openly about why you may not be feeling well. Explain as the weeks go along that a baby is in your tummy. This gives your child time to adjust.

2. Don't blame the baby. If you are not feeling well or can't lift your toddler like you use too, do not blame it on the baby. Just comment that your back hurts or that it might hurt mommy.

3. Make changes in your toddler's life early. If you have to change from a crib to a bed do not wait until the baby comes. Make any needed changes in advance so it doesn't feel like the baby is replacing the toddler.

4. Involve your toddler in the pregnancy. Let him or her come to a couple of your prenatal dr. visits, if appropriate. Let him or her hear the baby's heartbeat and see the photos.

5. Talk about how important older brothers and sisters are. Make your toddler feel proud of who they are and emphasize how helpful and loved that they are.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Great list! When my second came along, my first was just over 3 years old. We included him in everything and it helped!! I also gave him a cool dinosaur book with a card from his little sister... we gave it to him when he first met her. It was a hit! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I will try the gift idea. That is a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Married for 7 years. Have delightful 5 year old son (full of energy) and a 2 year old daughter.